Saturday, October 6, 2007

Caltrans dumped roadkill near county reservoir

California Department of Transportation officials admitted Friday that state crews have created yet another makeshift animal cemetery near a source of public drinking water -- this time in San Mateo County.

Earlier this week, news broke that Caltrans had used a ravine in Santa Clara County as a roadkill dumping ground, threatening a nearby creek with potentially harmful bacteria.

Continue reading the rest of the article >
I found a similar article on the front page of the San Mateo County times. It just seems very irresponsible for Caltrans to do something like this. How would you deal with roadkills and where would you propose burying them?

5 comments:

Brian Duddy said...

Such is the case when government has a profit motive... it sounds terrible, and it is, but all they were doing is trying to save time and money. And we resist all attempts to raise our taxes...

I feel obligated to add that Caltrans and Caltrain are not the same thing, as you seem to think. Caltrain runs the SF-SJ train line, and is a part of the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board. Caltrans is the California Department of Transportation. Just wanted to make sure no one gets confused...

Anonymous said...

Opps, I fixed it. :]

Ryan Landis said...

Eeeeeew. I guess it is good I drink Brita water. It is weird to think about I guess, but no one really complains about all the sewage and waste that is in the ocean when we swim in it so I guess should it really be that big of a deal? If I was in charge I would try to salvage the meat of the animals and feed them to starving animals. Think of all of the bears near Tahoe that are dying for a chunk of meat, if it is healthy that seems like a simple solution.

Tara C said...

I hate it when people to this kind of thing! It's because these people are just too stuffy to pay enough to get the corpses buried properly. And it's everyone else who pays when their drinking water becomes contaminated.

Anonymous said...

How would I dispose of roadkill? I think that there should be a special "roadkill" dump where the animals can decompose and ultimately become fertilizer. True, I wouldn't really want to eat plant produce that has been fertilized by roadkill, but so many gross things go into compost that roadkill isn't really much worse. I work at in a garden center on the weekends and almost anything that decomposes/disintegrates can be used for the compost....and it yields excellent soil for planting (and is environmentally friendly).