Friday, November 2, 2007

Stephen Colbert

As many of you probably know, Stephen Colbert has decided to run for President. He's admitted that he doesn't actually want to be president; he just wants to run for it in his native state of South Carolina. Colbert said that he had wanted to run in both the Democratic and Republican Primaries because he'd "like to lose twice." While he missed the deadline for the Republican primary ballot, on Thursday he'd filed for the Democratic ticket and paid the $2,500 filing fee. However, only hours later, the party's executive council voted 13-3 against allowing him on the ballot (the eight other major Democratic candidates were accepted).

While Colbert makes a living by making a mockery of America, I feel that now he's going too far. Yes, there is unfortunately a lot to mock today, but actually trying to be on a Presidential ballot is unneccessary. I enjoy watching his shows, but I wholeheartedly agree with the Democratic party's executive council decision. Nobody I know is satisfied with our current government, but some actions hurt more than they help, and some are just plain stupid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really understand why he shouldn't be able to run. If George W. Bush can run for president and win, why shouldn't anyone else.

Nicole S said...

He doesn't actually want to be president. He just wants to mock the system.

Kelsey said...

Firstly, I just want to say that Stephan Colbert is hilarious! I think that by running, he was just trying to placate his sense of humor. I have been watching a lot of his recent shows in which he has mentioned his canidacy and it is all rather funny. It is true he is making somewhat of a mockery of the system because he is running for "the wrong reasons". But, what is the right reason to run? Not all politicians run for the "right" reason. I think Colbert should be ridiculed for being a little too forthcoming about his reason for running....and its funny!

Ryan Landis said...

Does that mean that if I wanted to run for president I would have to be allowed to run if I did all the paperwork and money stuff on time. That kind of sucks. Unless I am mistaken you used to be able to, and maybe still are, write the name of a president on the bottom of the ticket if their name is not on the ballot. If that use to happen/still does, then I think he should sue each party for discrimination.