Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Two Cents For These Two Commercials

While looking for something interesting to blog about, I came across these two commercials on The Atlantic. This one is a 60 second clip about Fred Thompson and his background / ideas. I thought it was rather generic for a commercial, but then again I don't really watch too many campaign commercials. The one problem I had with this commercial was that it mentioned something along the lines of "our basic rights come from God". Once I heard the word "God", I immediately began to think how the church and state should be separate. Although this statement clearly wasn't meant to hurt him politically, I can't help to think of other people like me who found it odd to mention something like that. The other commercial on The Atlantic that I viewed was about John McCain. It had brief clips from programs and interviews that briefly talked about how much he had suffered as a Prisoner of War in Vietnam. I liked this commercial more than Fred Thompson's because it seemed to try and connect with the people more. So go ahead, watch the two commercials and tell me what YOU think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thompson is a Republican and his commercial establishes him as a very conservative candidate. I think he is trying to appeal to the conservatives in South Carolina because there is a large conservative religious population there. Even though touting his conservative views may help him in the conservative states, in the more split states he will have less of a chance of winning than a more moderate candidate.